Re: Photo: Barrels in A Boxcar

Riverboy

I love these photos, but I kind of chuckled when I saw that beer barrels are being loaded onto a box car marked "Automobile". Is that encouraging drinking and driving? EmojiEmojiEmoji

Ok, maybe sort of lame, but I couldn't resist. But for real, the photos are very interesting. Especially the interior photo of how they are stacked and braced.

Tod C Dwyer

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 12:43:45 PM EDT, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Photo: Barrels in A Boxcar

An undated photo from the Los Angeles City Public Library:

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/photos/id/100971/rec/1247

Caption: "Barrels of liquor are stacked in a railroad car, ready to be transported. The number 1 is written on the top of each barrel."

A good view of how these barrels were secured in a boxcar. It's possible these are beer barrels as they appear to be the same kind of barrels as shown in this photo, although the boxcar is not the same one:

https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/photos/id/103564/rec/16

Caption: "One man brings a barrel of Los Angeles Brewing Co. beer as two men roll the barrel on a railroad car. The barrels are stacked into the railroad car and later transported."

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA