Illinois Central #11346 w/extras

Bill Welch

I started building this Funaro & Camerlengo kit over ten years ago and while it was not my intent to take so long, sometimes it can be advantageous. With this prototype I kept finding new photos to purchase and in this process I kept noticing details and this model features many improved details, now hidden under the paint. Among the photos I bought was a Jack Parker photo of #11346 from "Bob's Photos" that showed an interesting wood plank door repair and decided to add this that can now be seen in the photos. I made one for each side attached with brass pins made from .012 wire. They are detachable to allow for painting and eventual weathering. Then I decided to attempt making the remnants of the door papering visible in the prototype photo. inspired by a past article by Don Valentine I purchased some light brown cigarette papers. These proved to not be opaque, even when layered, so I brush painted the back sides with Badger"s Modelflex "Sand." I then cut up some scale 1 x 6 lumber into narrow furring strips. These might be a little oversize but I needed something I wide enough to drill a #80 hole successfully. Note there a no remnants to the right of the door: This is because they would have to removed so the door could be opened. These remnant parts are also pinned in place using .012 brass wire and will be removed while the car is weathered. Then they will be weathered. I used a urethane glue made by Ambroid that is no longer available to glue the wood and paper together. I wanted the remnants to look plausible so I shared photos with some modeling friends that I knew were familiar with grain shipping and sealing doors. I am pretty happy with the way the model remnants look. Jerry Glow made the decals for me about ten years ago too.

Bill Welch