Re: Soo Line boxcar

Tim O'Connor

Cool pix.

That strikes me as some kind of slack adjuster. Is that what it is?

Tim O'Connor

On 3/14/2020 2:16 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 08:47 PM, Richard Remiarz wrote:
I don’t know if this part was unique to the later cars that were modeled by the Sunshine kit, or if it was used on all series of Soo sawtooth boxcars.
You mean this: https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/album?id=43499

I've never seen one on any Soo car with a fishbelly UF, nor is it shown on the Haskell & Barker drawings of the early twenties cars (the prototype for that kit) so surmise they were only on the later cars. The only one of the 1926, 28, 29, and 30 built cars I've been able to inspect is the 1929 car at the Illinois Railway Museum, where those pix were taken.

Dennis Storzek

Sterling, Massachusetts