Re: Soo Line boxcar

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Mar 16, 2020 at 01:19 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
That strikes me as some kind of slack adjuster. Is that what it is?
Do you mean this? Brake Booster

Near as can tell its main function is to double the power available from a vertical staff hand brake by making the hand brake chain into a two part line; note that after the chain winds through the mechanism it attaches to a bracket on the centersill. How it's any better than the simple pulley often used for this is anyone's guess, although I've always thought the slope of the bar it rides on would ensure that it rattled itself into release position after the brake pawl was released, not that I think that was ever a problem with the pulley system. Actually, I've always felt it was a solution in search of a problem, and I think the railroad industry quickly came to the same conclusion, because they were not common. Maybe someday I'll get someone out at IRM to wind down the handbrake on that car and watch what it actually does.

Dennis Storzek