Re: Model: CB&Q "Bomber Boxcar"

John Larkin

Jim,

Thanks for the info.  I've been trying to figure out where the tracks ran in and it appears to be from the northwest side of the base, just looking at the connecting railroad configuration and how it could have run into or next to (looks like something was there) the buildings.  There is also a very short section of track left in place off the CB&Q line on the southeast side of the base, and what may be (from Google) a connection at the other end to the former MP that also served the buildings on the north.

Our building is the oldest on base, and it includes a 3' thick brick wall inside.  Evidently it had been a stable, a blacksmith shop and, according to an unofficial source, a train depot though I'm not sure where or how the track connection could have been made.  No B-29s there any more though there are a couple of B-52s at the main entrance and a B-17 inside the base on the south side.

Lot of history on that base, I'm just trying to get a handle on the railroad side of it.  I only got stuck with Officer of the Day duty a couple of times, but overseas not there.

John Larkin

On Monday, March 16, 2020, 12:27:02 PM CDT, james murrie via Groups.Io <bi291@...> wrote:

The B-26 and later B-29 assembly plant was the Martin factory on what is now Offutt AFB(previously Fort Crook) south of Bellevue NE.  The building was later made part of the base and called "Building C" when I was stationed there in the 1970s.  You could still see the floors made out of wooden blocks.  We used to go jogging on the lower floor (below ground level) in the winter.  They had also put in a bowling alley and a lot of other things including a "Sattelite Control Squadron" that officially controlled weather satellites for AF Global Weather Central. On the other hand, we also had a strategic reconnaissance wing.
The big end doors at the end of what had been the assembly line rolled out into the end of the runway.  One of the B-29s that dropped the atomic bomb was built there.  It was very close to the tracks that ran south out of Omaha. I believe the official station name was Fort Crook even in the 1970s.
Even though I was stationed at SAC HQ, I spent several nights in the building when I was tagged for Officer of the Day duty.

Jim Murrie