Re: Priming w/Yellow

Mont Switzer

A few years ago I painted John Deere, Caterpillar and International Harvester HO scale models. Maybe the way I did it was cheating, but it worked. 

In all 3 cases I went to those respective equipment dealers and purchased aerosol cans of their touch up paint.  I then sprayed each one into a new paint bottle the size that fits my airbrush.  The paint was usually a little thick so I added lacquer thinner to get the right consistency to use in my air brush, a Pasche VL. 

Sometime in the early 1970’s CAT took the lead out of their paint resulting in a more golden hue.  No problem.  CAT had touchup paint for before and after.

Tractor guys are pretty resinous about their restorations.

Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.

Fall Creek Leasing, LLC.

mswitzer@...

(765) 836-2914

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of gtws00 via Groups.Io
Sent: Tuesday, March 17, 2020 10:32 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Priming w/Yellow

I was looking to paint a  Harvester/Combine model a bright shade of red that I custom mixed and a Cat D7 yellow as well. I could not get the red to look the way I wanted and tried an experiment using yellow, white and gray Badger Primer that I sprayed on a small styrene sheet. Attached are two photos showing the difference of covering the sheet with my red. I picked the neutral yellow for my base and have been now using it under my Boxcar Reds as well. I have been very pleased with the results so far. I have attached a photo of a brown I mixed and applied over the neutral yellow for my IC Mini-Kit as well.
Badger usually sells this primer at the Collinsville RPM a discounted price and comes in 12 colors.

George Toman
Willow Springs, IL

Attachments:

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.