Re: Photo: B&O Tank Car X10

Charles Peck

The car appears to me to be missing a knuckle on the left end.  This suggests  the car may be in stationary service.
Chuck Peck

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 12:31 PM Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb=verizon.net@groups.io> wrote:

Photo: B&O Tank Car X10

A Doug Lilly photo:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/149706553@N05/27073486079/in/album-72157689269937726/

Caption: "The Baltimore & Ohio kept company-service tank cars at some of its engine facilities, presumably for fuel storage. Photos exist showing cars that appear to be of later vintage, but this example at Glenwood Yard near Pittsburgh looks to be of a prewar design. With its stirrup steps mounted away from the corners and transverse brake wheel, this care has features consistent with UTLX tank cars from the 1930’s."

I assume the presence of single vertical rivet rows along the body indicates this tank car was built early in the 1900s.

So what do we have here?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA