Re: Photo: Barrels in A Boxcar (Cement)

Bob Chaparro

My guess is most barrels for cement were a size known as a tierce, which is about 42 gallons. This is the size of a barrel of petroleum or salt. A 42-gallon barrel of salt would weigh about 400 pounds.

Tight cooperage was used for liquids and was made from straight, knotless white oak. Beer barrels had the most demanding standards. They had to hold both pressure and liquid, so they were lined with pitch and made of thicker and choicer wood.

Slack cooperage used less choice wood and held dry items such as fruit and cement.

I am still searching for a photo of a barrel of cement.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA