Re: Walthers #932-5850 Single Sheathed Auto boxcar #932-5850

Tim O'Connor

I remember when these cars came out that my friend Leo Landry figured out how to cut
them up to make 40 foot cars for some road or other. So the kits have their uses! :-)

Tim O'Connor

On 3/27/2020 7:49 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Don Valentine asked:
"Does anyone here know the prototype for Walthers #932-5850 series 50 ft. Auto box? Also, if a prototype(s) is known how does the accuracy of the model stack up?"

Check the group archives as this model has been discussed before.  Long story short, Walthers quickly tooled this model to compete with MDC's much supeior and accurate line of 50 ft SS auto boxcars.  It really doesn't really model any prototype, with the end door being particularly bad with its giant hinges that stick out on the sides of the car.  See Richard Hendrickson's articles in the July 1995 and July 1996 issues of Railmodel Journal for more information.

Ben Hom

Sterling, Massachusetts