Re: IM Deco End Car Question

Friends,

Before we get lost here, my original question was about the circle with the bar on the door, its meaning and whether there was some special assignment for these cars. The rest of the information about repainting is interesting, but not what I was looking for. My fault for not keeping my own comments on target.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Sat, Mar 28, 2020 at 7:40 PM <dalemuir2@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

My research tells me the "For Progress" logo was applied with new PS1 boxcars starting in 1948. It was applied to older cars as they were repainted.

Here's the answer from
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/37166

Begin quote

Thu, 2019-08-01 04:10 — Tom Patterson

From Tom Dixon's book The Chesapeake & Ohio Railway at Mid-Century, "C&O first began using the logo and slogan 'C&O for Progress' in early 1948. As far as we can learn, the first cars to carry the logo were the PS-1 Box Cars delivered by Pullman Standard in January 1948." Tom goes on to say that all freight cars bore the new logo, so any new equipment or equipment repainted after January 1948 would have had the For Progress logo. However, given the amount of equipment on the railroad and the timeframes for repainting freight cars, I'd imagine there were cars that made it into the Chessie era without the For Progress logo.

Tom Patterson

Modeling the free-lanced Chesapeake, Wheeling & Erie Railroad, Summer 1976

End quote

Dale Muir
Geneva, IL