Paint stripper saga

Clark Propst

I only mention this because this subject seems to come up alot. Yesterday I decided to build four plastic kits as a change of pace from drilling and pushing in grab irons on resin models. I have three IMWX and one Intermountain AAR 37 design kits to make home road. I had stripped the lettering off the IM kit previously. I thought the IMWX kits were all undecs, but one was lettered NKP. I use Scalecoat stripper. I dipped the car in for about a half hour. Didn't touch the lettering. I did one more dip, no success. I thought, well, I'll leave it NKP. The car was numbered in the 18000 series. I checked Ed Hawkins AAR 37 list and found no cars listed in that series. So, I dipped the body in the stripper for several hours. Finally with scrubbing it came off. They used good paint in the old days  ;  ))
CW Propst