Photo: Early Santa Fe Boxcars At Eskridge Depot
A circa 1900 photo courtesy of the Wabaunsee County Historical Society & Museum:
Caption: "Merchants and residents of Eskridge, Kansas unload freight from an Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe Freight train at the Eskridge depot in this view, circa 1900."
Pictured are boxcars ATSF 41137 (Bx-U) and ATSF 18058 (Bx-C), plus two unidentified boxcars.
The Bx-U class of forty-foot cars first appeared in 1890 and were re-designated from the FE-D class furniture cars in 1906-08. The cars were built by the Wells & French Company. None of these cars were on the live list by 1922.
The Bx-C class of thirty-four foot cars appeared in 1892-93 and were the products of several car builders. The Bx-C designation was applied in 1902. A small number of these cars lasted into the early 1930s.