toggle quoted messageShow quoted text
The Swift cars had BCR roofs, including the red cars. Obviously they weathered to streaky gray and red. I’ll defer to others on the silver, at least for the wood sided cars.
On Apr 3, 2020, at 5:30 PM, Todd Sullivan via groups.io <sullivant41@...> wrote:
Nice catch. My Rapido reefers are in storage in Syracuse, so I'd better make a note to check the SRLX car when we are reunited. I'll also check my Sunshine kit that is painted but not assembled. Hmmm, maybe I should dig it out and finish it during this corona virus lull.
Fun story: Tony Koester had 26 of those red Atlas reefers, and Atlas only produced about 6 numbers. As occasional yardmaster in Frankfort's eastbound yard, I got awfully tired of seeing numbers repeat in a cut of Swift reefers from Kansas City. So, I offered to rework them a bit and renumber them, working in batches of 4-5 cars. The next operating session, Tony presented me with a box with all 26 (!) along with some dry transfer numbers that were exactly right for the Atlas lettering. The dry transfers didn't work very well, and I decided it was easier to hand re-letter the cars. I found that any of the numbers 0, 6 and 9, could be easily transformed into another of those numbers, and the same for 3, 6 and 8, so that's how they got renumbered. I tried using decals for the journal repack data, and the first car took about 2.5 hours to get the decals settled into the scribed siding on both sides. Nope, that wasn't going to work, either, so I faked the RPKD data with tiny dabs of white paint. It works with the 2 foot rule - no one has mentioned that it isn't legible, and I still use the technique on my models!