Southern FD 349012

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Friends,

This morning while I was scanning up some Southern locomotives, I remembered this flat car which I shot in Charlottesville, Virginia sometime in the late 1980s. Probably because it was unusual, I took a series of photos, including a deck shot from the bridge you can see in the low level views.

The 15 cars in series 349000-349014 were built by Thrall in 1956, so they just make it into our period of interest. I present them for your enjoyment, approval, and possible use in modeling (nice weathering on the deck!). If anyone has need, I can post the ORER dimensions and note VV from my 1958 ORER.

Me? I have no use for heavy duty flatcars on my layout, an obscure fictional Southern-controlled subsidiary which has no customers that would need such a car.

Yours Aye,

Mungo Napier, Laird of Mallard Lodge  🦆