Re: Illinois Central 40' ss boxcar information

Benjamin Hom

Chuck Cover asked:
"Some time ago I purchased this NEB&W Green Dot Models, Illinois Central single sheathed boxcar kit that was partially built.  I am going to start working to finish the build but would like some information about the prototype. I am looking at the lack of diagonal on the panel to the left of the door.  Did this car originally have a door and a half?  What number series does this car fall?  Does anyone have a prototype photo?

It looks like F&C has a kit for this car, F&C #6270, and my kits instructions say go to F&C for replacement parts."

Chuck, in short, cars were originally automobile boxcars built between 1923 and 1926, and converted to boxcars in 1934 as the Evans auto loader made shorter automobile boxcars obsolete.  See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars 17 in the November 2004 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more details including a build of this kit.

Ben Hom