From: Ted Schnepf <railsunl@...>
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Wed, Apr 8, 2020 1:17 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Meat reefers

Hi Garth and list,

I also offer a Western Pacific shippers guide from 1957, and it is $29.95, plus shipping. It can be viewed at my website railsunlimite.ribbonrail.com.

Rails Unlimited
Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

847=697-5353

On Wednesday, April 8, 2020, 11:46:24 AM CDT, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford <mallardlodge1000@...> wrote:

RJ,

You need to order up a copy of Western Pacific circular 167-E from the CSRM (possibly the only original left; my photocopy cost about $60, and I haven't regretted the investment one bit). It lists EVERY customer served by the WP/SN/TS/CCT directly or regularly via team tracks, and also includes customers on the SP, UP, ATSF and a few other railroads in towns where a car might be handed off. The piece is circa 1957, based on what is there and what is missing among towns served by the SN . A look through this will tell you a lot about where meat packing or meat distribution facilities were.

For example, the WP served a Swift & Co. facility at 3rd and Clay in Oakland, with a track capacity of two cars. Apparently this was a distribution facility for packaged meat products. Just in case you have Adam Clegg's WESTERN PACIFIC COLOR PICTORIAL v. 1, there is a shot of this building on page 26.

I just rambled through Sacramento in the circular and found these possible customers: WP--Valley Wholesale Groceries; SN--Lancaster Wholesale Grocery  ; SP--Armour, Swift, United Grocers, Tiedemann & McMorran (wholesale grocery); general team tracks--Maderight Sausage, Murphy Meat, Pureta Sausage. There was also a Safeway facility listed only as "produce", though I'm a bit dubious about that. There were also two packing plants at Peethill (West Sacramento) on the SN, but I think these received animals to slaughter for local sales.

So there certainly were the possibilities of Swift reefers showing up in Oakland via the WP, and both Swift and Armour in Sacramento via the SP, plus the possibility of other small mid-west packers shipping to grocers and the sausage companies either in their own marked cars, or in "Plain Jane" refrigerators.

Another intriguing refrigerator is a 4-hatch CN car on the SN at Lake Temescal in late 1956 (seen in James Harrison's SACRAMENTO NORTHERN GALLERY, page [24]). What was it doing there?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

On Wed, Apr 8, 2020 at 11:46 AM radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:
So it is safe to say that meat reefers were not a west coast thing, say 1930's/1940's?  I have not seen any in period pictures, but doesn't mean they didn't exist.  I have a couple of Sylvan meat reefer kits I keep wondering if I should build to run on Western Pacific/Southern Pacific consists.
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA