Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] Meat reefers

O Fenton Wells

Thanks for sharing the photos, I love the SR Auto/Furniture boxcar photo ( # 311006).  Southern had 5000 of these and this is the car Sunshine Models made.  Love that photo
Thanks
Fenton

On Thu, Apr 9, 2020 at 9:26 AM Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...> wrote:

Eric;

I have been exploring the Whitehall (or White Hall) Branch, since I was a boy when my Mom was playing Symphony gigs and took me along with her to the South Side.  I still host tours every so often when I go to Pgh.

There was an unbelievable amount of freight car variety on the branch, and industry variety being served by same.  Due to the tight radii of the trackage, it was generally  served by a small group of SW-1’s, but they managed to get 65’ gons down there to serve a steel fabricator.  Box cars, reefers, hoppers, flats, and lotsa gons.

In your timeframe, there was a great beer maker on 21st Street: Moerlein’s, who later moved on to Ohio.  They had this fabulous building, later a plumbing supply company.  Their spur went right into the building.

The only freight car type I never saw down there were tank cars, but I’ll bet I just missed them.  There were several iron and steel works down there that would’ve received them.

I know several people that have attempted to model this area, but no one has pulled it off.  Here are a small sample of photos…

Check out the variety of cars in the last photo of 30th Street Yard next to the Jones & Laughlin open hearth complex in 1953.  At 21st Street Yard, note the URR gon lurking, and the Southern Automobile/Furniture car.  I think it is carrying furniture to the Gimbel’s warehouse in back.

Elden Gatwood

From: Bill Keene via groups.io <
bill41@...>