Re: DL&W Boxcar 49488 Photo

mopacfirst

I don't know anything about this car specifically.  But I went back and looked carefully at it, and the vertical ribs appear to be equally spaced in each panel.  If they're really there, perhaps it was an experiment to stiffen each panel.  Exactly what problem this was supposed to solve is not obvious.

The artifacts on the roof could actually be rooflines of a building that weren't cropped out.  And the 'box' near the rear truck, I believe is a panel that some railroads had installed in front of the triple valve to protect it from damage.

I remain eagerly awaiting hearing from anyone who has actual knowledge of this experiment.

Ron Merrick