Re: Meat reefers

Douglas Harding

PHP (Packing House Products) consisted of far more than hanging meat, as Bill points out. There was canned meat, processed meat (think sausage, bacon, lunch meat, etc), meat by-products and meat scraps (ie pet food), dried blood, whole blood, hides, paunch (stomach contents), tallow, lard, other oils and grease, tankage, fertilizer, manure,  and the list goes on.

The Decker plant killed 5200 head a day, and filled about 25 reefers a day with PHP plus the boxcars and tank cars. Rath in Waterloo, set a record filling 125 cars with PHP in one day. Rath at the time was the largest slaughter operation in the world “under one roof”.

Steve Sandifer, estimated 16-20 reefers of beef quarters from a plant slaughtering 2000 head of cattle a day. He also estimated about 7 other cars each day.

Figure about 2 stockcars in for each reefer out, remembering that a large number of animals came in via truck.

My reference to 50 car trains was from a Illinois Central practice. The IC often sent two or three sections of their meat train out of Waterloo to Chicago each night. Waterloo was their collecting point for meat from Omaha, Sioux City, Mason City, Fort Dodge, and other places as well as Waterloo.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org