Re: Meat reefers

Nelson Moyer

I built the Sunshine kit (15.1), and it was cast in the old yellow resin – thick and brittle. The running board supports had to be built up using 1x2 styrene strips, and it was royal PITA. The steel NA leases from 1954 are too late for me. Maybe Frank could be persuaded to do the 42 ft. car with etched metal running board supports. I’d be good for at least ten cars.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Douglas Harding
Sent: Thursday, April 09, 2020 9:23 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Meat reefers

Morrell also had a slaughter house in Estherville Iowa, purchased from Tobin in 1953. Tobin purchased it in 1937 for hog slaughter, from the Estherville Packing Co. who built in the plant in 1935. Morrell then built a second plant in Estherville in 1962/3 for beef slaughter.

To my knowledge Morrell never used any 37’ Mather reefers, so the Red Caboose car will not do except as stand in. For an authentic Morrell Mather reefer you need the Sunshine 42’ meat reefer kit #15.1 Morrell leased reefers from North American. From notes: John Greedy says “Morrell leased new built steel reefers in 1954 from North American in the 300 series possibly intermixed with cars leased to Hormel.  These cars had a distinctive horizontal seam between the sheathing.”

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org