Re: Meat reefers

Tim O'Connor

Packaged and prepared meats from the midwest probably were more common on the
west coast than whole animal sides due to the distances and transit times. For
fresh meat, stock cars carried animals to slaughterhouses in California and that
traffic continued into the 1990's. But there are plenty of pics of meatpacker
reefers on the west coast.

Tim O'Connor

On 4/8/2020 11:51 AM, Richard Townsend via groups.io wrote:
No, not safe to say. Meat reefers ran just about everywhere. Maybe only one at a time on branches, but they ran.

On Apr 8, 2020, at 8:46 AM, radiodial868 <radiodial57@...> wrote:

So it is safe to say that meat reefers were not a west coast thing, say 1930's/1940's?  I have not seen any in period pictures, but doesn't mean they didn't exist.  I have a couple of Sylvan meat reefer kits I keep wondering if I should build to run on Western Pacific/Southern Pacific consists.
--
RJ Dial

Mendocino, CA

Sterling, Massachusetts