Re: Meat reefers

Nelson Moyer

Yes, as someone said, the Sioux Falls plant held the record for 125 cars in one day, or something like that. But the thread started with my question about the Morrell plant in Ottumwa, IA. We don't have a definitive answer for that plant, though from the total number of hog, sheep, and cattle kills it very well might fill a train. The operative word is 'might', because the only wheel report of a train that's surfaced included some stock cars and a produce reefer to fill out the train. Moot point, because few of us are going to model a 50 car meat train, though I know a guy who ran an SFRD produce train with something like 60 cars on the La Mesa layout. Only a retired lawyer can afford all those reefers and the ATSF ABBA units that pulled them.

Nelson Moyer

-----Original Message-----
From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 10:39 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Meat reefers

There were DEFINITELY slaughterhouses that could produce 50 loads per day! A full load of beef sides or pork bellies probably had barely 20 tons of meat, if that. I once read a PRR publication that listed average tons per load and was surprised how many cargos did not approach the full weight capacity of freight cars.

Scan from the Illinois Central 1955 annual report.

On 4/9/2020 3:24 PM, Ted Schnepf wrote:
Hi Nelson,

Your are correct in that that one plant could not produce 50 loads in
one day. Keep in mind the Milwaukee, RI, and Wabash also got a few
loads of meat in Ottumwa. Off course the plant also produced tank cars
of tallow and cars of hides. And then I am certain the train was
filled with other priority cars going eastbound.

As I understand the packing industry Monday was a slow shipping day,
and then at the end of the week Friday and Saturday the output increased.

I also have a shortage of Morrell reefers, in my case out of Sioux Falls.

Ted Schnepf
126 Will Scarlet,
Elgin, Ill. 60120

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.