Re: Poorly Secured Load?

Charlie Vlk

All-
Looks like the photos were taken on the CB&Q (FTs in the background of one of the photos) likely in conjunction with damage claim.  Not the band shifting causing wearing off of the paint and maybe some pressure on the end blocking.
Charlie Vlk

On Apr 10, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Bob Chaparro via groups.io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

´╗┐

Poorly Secured Load?

Two 1952 photos of the same load from the Tacoma Public Library Digital Collections:

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/33748/rec/109

http://cdm17061.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/singleitem/collection/p17061coll21/id/34113/rec/103

I was a bit surprised to see that this large storage tank load was only secured by two steel bands/rods. Even with the bottom blocking I would think a third band/rod would be needed to provide extra security should one of the other two fail.

Opinions?

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA