Re: Hooker Chemical, Tacoma

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Don,

That “flat top” would be the USS Intrepid (CV-11), the battleship USS Massachusetts (BB-59) is in Fall River, MA, and the USS Albacore (AGSS-569) is in Portsmouth, NH.  I’m sure there are others as well.  Unfortunately the USS Skipjack (SSN-585), “the first, the fastest and the finest nuclear powered teardrop hull” was decommissioned and  “recycled” in the 1990s after more than 30 years in front line service.

I was assigned Skipjack in my youth.  The State Pier in New London, CT, was our homeport back then (1963-‘64).  I used to cut through the CV yard going to and from the train station.  The CV still had one or more wood cabooses in the yard.  I like to be able to find the slides I shot at the time.  I even managed to get an interior shot that took from an end platform with the camera up against a somewhat grungy window in the door.  The result was a bit dark, but still pretty good under the circumstances.  There probably were other cars I should have photographed, but just couldn’t get past my fascination with those cabooses.  I don’t recall when I last saw it, but I love to find it and the numerous other railroad photographs, mostly slides, I’ve taken over the years.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Friday, April 10, 2020 7:13 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Hooker Chemical, Tacoma

What a shame to cut up the Liberty Ships. I gather there was no interest on the Left Coast to restore one
as has been done on the East Coast with the John W. Brown out of Baltimore on which crusies are offered or
even just tours such as on the DDE USS Slater in Albany, NY or the USS Kidd in Baton Rouge, LA. IIRC there
is also a WW II flat top in NYC.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.