Re: FSA/OWI photos - Omaha 1938, 1941

John Larkin

Next to last photo was on e-bay for a while a couple of months ago.  I'm not sure whose station is shown there but multiple railroads ran through here.  I'm going to have to dig out my old Omaha map to be accurate.

John Larkin

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 12:19:28 PM CDT, Charles Peck <lnnrr152@...> wrote:

In the fifth picture, I have doubts about it being a pickle car.
It certainly looks similar to a pickle car but all pickle cars I have seen
images of were owned by a pickle packing company.
This car has Kansas City Southern on it.  What else could it be hauling?
I have no idea. Something briny or acidic, it would seem.
Could KCS have a car they leased to a pickle producer?  A partial number
might end in 24.
Chuck Peck

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 1:04 PM Paul Krueger <kruegerp12@...> wrote:
I was looking at photos on the Library of Congress website and found these from Omaha with freight cars. Most were taken November 1938, but I think one is from 1941.

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Unloading 'coal' (looks like cinders or gravel to me) - MP USRA gondola

Union Stock Yards - boxcars in the background

Grain elevators - CGW boxcars in the midground, SAL box in the background, and what is that on the side of the boxcar behind the RI locomotive in the foreground?

CGW boxcar close-up (too bad the photographer wasn't back a foot or so)

American Smelting and Refining - nice cut of freight cars across the middle of the photo, is that a pickle car in the middle? Two rail cranes in the photo too.

Another view of American Smelting, but the freight cars are more distant

Unloading sheep at the stock yards - MILW stock car being unloaded, Quaker City Live Stock Express stock car in the background with part of a RI stock car.

Close-up of sheep being loaded into a stock car

Stock yards - decent view of ARLX 11801 on the right

Omaha rail yard - good views of roofs and ends

Omaha elevated view - some freight cars in the lower left corner