Re: Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

Randy Hammill

Well, that was pretty much our intent with our proposed Bx-11/12/13, etc. project. And Rapido pretty consistently releases many road specific details for their locomotives, so I don’t think it’s unreasonable to consider it a possibility.

Granted, the URSA DS project would be enormous if they did take that route, and with a traditional manufacturing approach a bit more of a challenge.

That’s one of the things we hope to address with our projects. With no risk of insufficient sales (we’re either funded or not), and building exclusively to order, we hope to be able to do projects that address these types of more specific details. It’s just not something that has been done much with freights cars.

The Atlas 1932 ARA car was a step in that direction. Intermountain keeps adding variations to their AAR series of box cars, and their AAR hoppers cover a number of specific prototypes, including a single road bolster.

Regardless, I’m looking forward to the Rapido cars and also seeing what Bill Welch, Ted Culotta, and others do with them.

 Randy
--

Randy Hammill
Prototype Junction

Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954
http://newbritainstation.com