Re: boxcar roof mystery

Dennis Storzek

I was going to mention, but Ed beat me to it, that theĀ builtĀ dates span the production change of the roofs. Not really a big deal, as the panels (the whole component, not just the raised pressing) were interchangeable. Seems I recall the NKP had some auto cars that were built based on an earlier design, where it was found the new diagonal pressing interfered with the loaders, and so the cars were built with diagonal panels EXCEPT for two; those were the older recangular design to gibe the needed clearance.

Dennis Storzek