Re: Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

Dennis Storzek

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 08:39 AM, spsalso wrote:
Your statement about having to widen the model's roof to accept a fascia implies, to me, that that had to have been true for the prototype.  If so, it would seem to mean that the fascias were ONLY applied when new (wider) roofs were, also.

Or.  One could ask:  "Whatever would prompt someone to add a strip of wood at the top of a box car side?"
The better question might be, "Who thought it was a good idea to omit the fascia in the first place?" I ran into this issue years ago when designing the Accurail USRA car, and made the judgement that it would be more useful to more people to model the cars as most (all?) railroads modified them.

If one understands how these roofs were put together, it becomes obvious that the fascia could be added without replacing the entire roof. This illustration from the 1922 CBC shows a variety of eaves treatments, including one without the fascia as the USRA cars were built:

Since this is a flexible roof, all the sheets have a J bend that hooks into what is labeled the "hook strip." Just replacing the hook strip with a wider one would accommodate the addition of a fascia. I would suspect that replacing the hook strip when the car siding was renewed was common, as by the time all those nails were pulled it was likely pretty bent up. I'll leave it to your imagination how to model it, but note that there should be a step in the roof surface parallel to the eave no matter what.

Dennis Storzek