Re: Question re: upcoming Rapido USRA DS box

Donald B. Valentine

    That's a neat bit of film Colin. The first thing I noticed were the untreated ties being used to repair the track.
The second was the Lidgerwood. That puzzled me completely until I saw the wreck crane lying on its side. That
must have embarrassed someone more the the wreck itself! Then you see the cables moving through the double
sheave and I knew why the Lidgewood was there. That company made some wonderful equipment for logging
(tower skidders), mining (cable dump cars and such) and railroads (big steam powered winches such as that
shown mounted on flat cars). The chief use of a Lidgerwood on a railroad was to pull a plow through a series of
open ended gondola type cars with side doors to place ballast or fill outside of the rails. I've never seen one except
in a bunch of photos I have and I've never heard of anyone modeling one. Does anyone have any photos of just
the LIdgerwood itself rather than the whole train with one included?

Cordially, Don Valentine