From: Gatwood, Elden J SAD <elden.j.gatwood@...>
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Apr 13, 2020 1:12 pm
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: [RealSTMFC] boxcar roof mystery

Yes, P&LE also.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Richard Townsend via groups.io
Sent: Monday, April 13, 2020 3:25 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

I seem to recall seeing some 40’ box cars that were stretched to 50’ using diagonal panels in the middle of the cars’ rectangular panels for the roof.

On Apr 13, 2020, at 12:08 PM, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

Dennis Storzek wrote:

 Seems I recall the NKP had some auto cars that were built based on an earlier design, where it was found the new diagonal pressing interfered with the loaders, and so the cars were built with diagonal panels EXCEPT for two; those were the older recangular design to gibe the needed clearance.

    SP built some automobile cars with such a feature, doubtless the same reason.

Tony Thompson