Re: Question re: Lidgerwoods

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine wrote:

     Jeez Tony, I thought that's what the made wheel lathes for! I'd like to see a photo of that.

   Of course, but you no doubt realize that pulling the drivers off a steam locomotive to take them to the lathe might be more trouble that the Lidgerwood method, which is carried on without disassembling the running gear. Photo below, taken in 1949 at West Oakland. You can see the cable heading off to the left that pulls the locomotive (Arnold Menke collection). For those interested, the flat car is an old F-50-2.

Tony Thompson