Re: June 1941. "Railroad yards. Milwaukee, WI

John Barry

Thanks Doug,

I have a full set of the RPCs and have only begun to scratch the surface.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 08:16:04 PM EDT, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Just about all meat packers used leased reefers from the 30s on. Those reefers could have the meat packers reporting marks or could have the reporting marks of the owner. Union Refrigeration, General American, Mather, North American were all major players in the leased meat reefer market. Even companies that had their own reporting marks, also used reefers with the owner’s reporting marks and the meat packers name or logo.

Dubuque, leased from several companies, including both Union Refrigeration and General American. I don’t have a color photo of a Dubuque meat reefer in the P/L as shown in the photo. But I do have a b/w photo, see attached.

URTX cars tended to be more orange, which can be verified by looking through Gene Green’s Refrigerator Color Guide by Morning Sun. This book has the later Dubuque scheme, but not the earlier P/L as seen in the 1941 MILW yard photo.

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia #14 has photos of General American Meat reefers, including a photo of  car leased to Dubuque on p. 90. It is not lettered for Dubuque and has URTX reporting marks. Remember General American purchased Union Refrigeration in 1929.

Note the color variations on the two MDT reefers just beyond the Northern Refrigerator Car Co reefer.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org