Re: June 1941. "Railroad yards. Milwaukee, WI

John Barry

Thanks Doug, 

I have a full set of the RPCs and have only begun to scratch the surface.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 08:16:04 PM EDT, Douglas Harding <iowacentralrr@...> wrote:

Just about all meat packers used leased reefers from the 30s on. Those reefers could have the meat packers reporting marks or could have the reporting marks of the owner. Union Refrigeration, General American, Mather, North American were all major players in the leased meat reefer market. Even companies that had their own reporting marks, also used reefers with the owner’s reporting marks and the meat packers name or logo.

Dubuque, leased from several companies, including both Union Refrigeration and General American. I don’t have a color photo of a Dubuque meat reefer in the P/L as shown in the photo. But I do have a b/w photo, see attached.

URTX cars tended to be more orange, which can be verified by looking through Gene Green’s Refrigerator Color Guide by Morning Sun. This book has the later Dubuque scheme, but not the earlier P/L as seen in the 1941 MILW yard photo.

Railway Prototype Cyclopedia #14 has photos of General American Meat reefers, including a photo of  car leased to Dubuque on p. 90. It is not lettered for Dubuque and has URTX reporting marks. Remember General American purchased Union Refrigeration in 1929.

Note the color variations on the two MDT reefers just beyond the Northern Refrigerator Car Co reefer.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of John Barry
Sent: Sunday, April 12, 2020 4:40 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] June 1941. "Railroad yards. Milwaukee, WI

Also of note is the URTX meat reefer marked for Dubuque Packing Company.  What color is that, orange?  Very different from the adjacent Northern Refrigerator to the right or the Milwaukee branded car to the left.  And the dark lettering contrasts with the white seen on the tonally similar MILW boxes in the forground.   

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 

Golden Gates & Fast Freights 

Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 

Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 02:03:13 PM EDT, John Larkin via groups.io <jflarkingrc@...> wrote:

That shot highlights 3 Milwaukee boxcars with 3 different paint schemes.  I'm not a Milwaukee expert by any means but the cars appear to be built to the same plan.  That's one of the best pix I've ever seen illustrating how paint schemes can vary on what appears to be identical cars.

John Larkin

On Sunday, April 12, 2020, 12:09:21 PM CDT, Hudson Leighton <hudsonl@...> wrote:

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.