Re: Tamiya Flat Clear TS-80 spray can

Eric Hansmann

I’ve had sputtering rattle cans of Dullcoat ruin freight car finishes. I swore those off many years ago. I had used rattle cans of Model Master Clear Flat with good success before I set up a spray booth.

I now prefer to use the airbrush to spray Model Master Flat Clear Acryl with a few drop of the appropriate freight car color to add a chalky appearance to start the weathering process. The flat + drops of color also cuts the whiteness of decals. You can compare the before and after on a boxcar in this blog post.

http://designbuildop.hansmanns.org/2017/04/21/southern-pacific-a-50-5-automobile-box-car/

YMMV.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Donald B. Valentine via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2020 9:27 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Tamiya Flat Clear TS-80 spray can

Am I all wet or are those of us who have stuck with the tried and true flat and/or gloss finishes by

suppliers such as Scalecoat and Testors really missing something? From all the complaints viewed

herein over the past week I think most of these new flat and clear finishes leave A LOT to be desired.

I'll stick with the older ones. As we say here in New England, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

Cordially, Don Valentine

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.