Re: Unusual trucks on gon in American Smelting photo

Edward,

There were other brands of pressed steel trucks besides Fox. Cloud comes to mind, and I think Pressed Steel Car Co. had a proprietary design (along with pressed steel archbars). IIRC, Fox trucks were actually an English invention (per Richard Hendrickson). Fox trucks with a wheelbase of about 3 1/2 feet were, and I believe still are, used under some Festiniog Railway passenger carriages.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff 🦆

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 10:47 AM spsalso via groups.io <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
In the first American Smelting photo, from the group that Paul Krueger so kindly posted (message #171547):

https://www.loc.gov/pictures/resource/fsa.8b14180/

there is a gon, three cars to the right of the KCS vinegar car.  It has sheet metal trucks.  I would call them Fox, but I see that they have a longish wheelbase.

It seems odd to me that sheet metal trucks would be running at this date.  The car appears to be Union Pacific.  To me.

I wonder at the thoughts in this group on the matter.

Ed

Edward Sutorik