Re: Tamiya Flat Clear TS-80 spray can

Craig Zeni

On Apr 14, 2020, at 10:42 AM, main@RealSTMFC.groups.io wrote:

4d. Re: Tamiya Flat Clear TS-80 spray can
From: Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2020 10:27:28 EDT

Am I all wet or are those of us who have stuck with the tried and true flat and/or gloss finishes bysuppliers such as Scalecoat and Testors really missing something? From all the complaints viewedherein over the past week I think most of these new flat and clear finishes leave A LOT to be desired.I'll stick with the older ones. As we say here in New England, "If it ain't broke don't fix it"
Cordially, Don Valentine
I never liked the Testors dullcoat, Walthers DDV, or even the Scalecoat flat - all were/are too amber I really noticed that the first time I used the Floquil flat and compared that Southern Rwy diesel to one I'd done with Dullcoat - the aluminum stripe had a distinctly a was my go-to for years - no amber hue. Then the Model Master lacquer-based flats seemed to airbrush better for me but of course those are gone. I always struggled with the Polly Scale flats - I usually had issues with it going on evenly and not having my airbrush flinging boogers of flat onto the model. I never was able to full predict or cure the boogers issue. I stopped using it when I had an application of it craze on a model - never saw it do that before and I never gave it another chance.

I have found another flat that I *really* like, the Hataka flat product from Poland. Comes in a nice little squeeze dropper bottle like the MIG and Vallejo products, and the Hataka bottle has a little agitator ball in it. It ls lacquer based, airbrushes very very nicely and evenly, and only a hint of amber. Thin it with lacquer thinner (hardware store stuff or the Tamiya lacquer thinner) and it goes on like a dream. Haven't had it frost, craze or fling boogers. Great stuff. I've been trying to get some of their paint, with very limited success. The paint seems to be sold in sets and i don't really need a variety of Luftwaffe or Japanese Naval colors...

Craig Zeni
Cary NC