Re: Unusual trucks on gon in American Smelting photo

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff  wrote:
Somewhere there is a close-up photo of these UP gondolas being loaded at a coal tipple. I seem to remember that Richard Hendrickson posted it back on the old Yahoo group. Does it jar any memories?

    Garth, do you mean the photos of both SP and UP gondolas being loaded with ballast at Black Butte, California? It includes UP 25218, built in 1903 with the Standard Steel Car Co. version of the Fox-like trucks. It is included in my Volume 1 on gondolas in the series _Southern Pacific Freight Cars_ on page 73.  On page 69 of that volume are two Standard Steel builder photos of such UP gondolas, from Keith Retterer.

Tony Thompson