Re: Striker Castings

Dennis Storzek

Unfortunately, Ike's Southern design is about ten years too new; it has the drawbar carry iron cast integral. The USRA design used a separate cast carry iron attached with a large bolt, and indeed, the huge nut shows in Brian's photo. The striker casting kind of shows in some general arrangement drawings in the 1922 CBC, but not in enough detail to do it justice in 1:48 scale. The 1919 CBC had more extensive coverage of the "Government cars", but I don't have a copy, although I know there is a scanned copy available on the web somewhere. Best bet would be to have Bob Webber pull the drawings at the Pullman Library, but I believe they are closed for the duration.

Dennis Storzek