Re: Unusual trucks on gon in American Smelting photo

Garth Groff and Sally Sanford

Dennis,

No I don't know anything more about them than what I remember from the photograph. I'm pretty sure it was shared on an earlier version of this group, and might be in some archive. That's not something I want to undertake, especially with out painfully slow DSL connection.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff  🦆

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 3:00 PM Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 11:02 AM, Garth Groff and Sally Sanford wrote:
Somewhere there is a close-up photo of these UP gondolas being loaded at a coal tipple. I seem to remember that Richard Hendrickson posted it back on the old Yahoo group. Does it jar any memories?

If it is the same car, I believe these were 46' IL with drop bottoms, and were intended for coal service.

Do you have any idea who built those cars? Somewhere deep in the recesses of my memory (or what's left of it) I recall that Barney & Smith had a fabricated plate passenger car truck, that from the side looked like a section of fabricated I beam with journal boxes poking through slots. B&S also built freight cars. What I can't recall is if they also tried a freight version, but if so, this is pretty much what it would look like. Unfortunately, there is only one book on Barney & Smith, and I don't own it; I read a borrowed copy.

Dennis Storzek