Re: Unusual trucks on gon in American Smelting photo

Dennis Storzek

On Tue, Apr 14, 2020 at 03:33 PM, spsalso wrote:
I agree that the wheelbase length I got is very strange.  If someone would care to examine the (American Smelting) photo and tell me where I went wrong, I'd surely like to hear.  I would prefer to be wrong, because it's the simplest solution.

It was a simple case of measuring the length of a known dimension (half of the IL) and measuring the wheelbase length in the photo, and doing a ratio.
I went about it a different way... I downloaded the high res TIF, blew the area up, and reasoning that at that distance the adjacent hopper car is essentially the same distance from the camera, simply used a caliper to compare the wheelbase to the T section Bettendorf trucks on the hopper. They are essentially the same. Possible explanation for your results: 1) what you thought was the center wasn't, or 2) the gon is 40 feet long rather than 46.

Dennis Storzek