Re: Speaking of decals

O Fenton Wells

Thanks for the heads up Gary, good to know
Fenton

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 1:51 PM Gary Bechdol <garyeb1947@...> wrote:
Fenton:

I ordered several sets of ACL steam locomotive decals from K4.  I had twp locomotive professionally painted, but when the painter applied the white decals, the printing was so thin that the decal did not show up on the black locomotives.  Even doubling up the decals did not help.  Maybe I had an early set, but before you try decaling a car, do a test first on a piece of scrap using the paint color you are applying to the car.

Gary Bechdol
Stone Mountain, GA

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:30 PM O Fenton Wells <srrfan1401@...> wrote:
By the way has anyone used the K4 decals out of Dayton OH. I stumbled across them on eBay and ordered about 10 different sets.  They have some nice C&NJ, ACL( a surprising variety of ACL) and others including some interesting private tank cars that I needed for future projects.  I haven't use them yet but they are pretty crisply printed and look good on paper.  I'll et you know when I do the ACL or C&NJ cars coming up in my build shop.
If anyone has used them let me know what you think
Fenton

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 12:21 PM Richard Brennan <rbrennan@...> wrote:
At 08:05 AM 4/15/2020, Tim O'Connor wrote:
>All decals should be compared to good photos! Even a lazy vendor
>sometimes gets them right
>or perhaps partly right. I once tried to DOCUMENT my older decals
>including all of the small
>bits in each set and I found a few real gems, a lot of not so good,
>and plenty of "you've got
>to be kidding me!" I gave up after a while because it was so time consuming.

Tim has captured the issue:
- You can make a decal set that is exactly correct for ONE car...
- You can make a set that is relatively correct for a number of cars...
- You can put together a herald and some letters/numbers and call it a decal

...and if you really want to find the 'howlers';
Get out your magnifying glass and read the re-weigh data and other
fine print (if it exists) on your pad-printed RTR cars!!!

Richard
Richard Brennan - TT-west

Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd