From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Dave Nelson
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 2:17 PM
To: STMFC <RealSTMFC@groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Density of coal

I’m working on a problem involving the density of coal and need some help.  Does anyone have a wheel report containing cars loaded with coal that have the weight recorded?  What is the car and weight listed?  The wheel reports I have do not include car weight.

I’m asking because well documented coal densities you can find on the web are all densities based on ground coal (think ground coffee) which is done specifically because rail shipped coal, being larger, has substantial air gaps that lessen the overall density of the load.

IOW the published numbers are going to be higher than the same cubic volume found in any hopper.  I’m looking for the later number.

T.I.A.

Dave Nelson