Re: Unusual trucks on gon in American Smelting photo

spsalso

Charlie,

I usually use the process you describe (if I can't get a car number, etc.), but I didn't like it for this because the picture gets pretty fuzzy when it's blown up that much, and it's kinda hard to get accuracy.

But.

I did it anyway.  And, yes, the truck wheelbase comes in around 5 1/2 feet.  Which is remindful of the dimension that Dennis came up with by a different method.

Well, well, says I.

Contemplating on all this, I thought:  "What if the inside length wasn't 40'-ish?"

So I went backwards from the truck wheelbase to get the IL.  Which comes up at about 34'.  In that case, I could note that Southern Pacific had a couple of gon series with that IL.  Nothing shows up for UP, that I can see.  But...........

In other words, if the truck wheelbase is "standard", which it appears to be when compared to the neighboring truck, then it would seem likely that the car was shorter than the typical 40'.

Interestinger and interestinger.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 01:03 PM, Charlie Vlk wrote:
Guys
How about using the 33” wheel as the scaling element.   If you measure off the center of the journal to the outside of the wheel that establishes your 16 1/2 “ and perspective errors should be way less than using undetermined half length of the car body.
There were many types of “Fox” pressed steel (hardly sheet metal) trucks.
Charlie Vlk