Re: Unusual trucks on gon in American Smelting photo

spsalso

A little housecleaning on my last post:

One of the SP series was 34', another was 36+'.  Both close-ish to 34'.  There might be other candidates.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 02:34 PM, spsalso wrote:
Charlie,

I usually use the process you describe (if I can't get a car number, etc.), but I didn't like it for this because the picture gets pretty fuzzy when it's blown up that much, and it's kinda hard to get accuracy.

But.

I did it anyway.  And, yes, the truck wheelbase comes in around 5 1/2 feet.  Which is remindful of the dimension that Dennis came up with by a different method.

Well, well, says I.

Contemplating on all this, I thought:  "What if the inside length wasn't 40'-ish?"

So I went backwards from the truck wheelbase to get the IL.  Which comes up at about 34'.  In that case, I could note that Southern Pacific had a couple of gon series with that IL.  Nothing shows up for UP, that I can see.  But...........

In other words, if the truck wheelbase is "standard", which it appears to be when compared to the neighboring truck, then it would seem likely that the car was shorter than the typical 40'.

Interestinger and interestinger.

Ed

Edward Sutorik