Re: FARMALL TRACTOR loads

Mont Switzer

Bud,

I don’t think there was any specific pattern that was required for loading tractors or implements.  I suppose the various manufacturers may have developed diagrams to help their loaders get the maximum allowable load on the car and properly secure the equipment.

1.       They had to be properly blocked and tied down per AAR regulations.

2.       Blocking could vary depending on how the implements were loaded.

3.       Implements could be no closer than 24 inches to brake wheel.

4.       No overhang, obviously.

Photos I’ve seen show the plants were set up for side or end loading so the tractors or implements could be rolled (or driven) into place on flat cars.  There appears to have been some overhead crane loading also, but cars had to be loaded so they could be unloaded at destination.  As most of us know, older farm tractors (like Farmall H and M or John Deere A and 560) could virtually turn on a dime when using both steering and separate wheel brakes.

A flat car with quite a few tractors or implements on it could be consigned to several dealer locations.  Each purchaser would find the correct serial number for his purchase and unload it (them).  Then the railroad would move the car onto the next consignee location.  I’m sure these routings were determined by the shipper’s traffic department ahead of time with efficiency and ability to unload in mind.

Some tractor or implement dealers used the ramp provided by the railroads at their team track locations to get the tractor or implement  off of the flat cars.  If not too far, they were then driven or pulled to the dealership or new owner.  Others had long-bed straight trucks that they could just back up to the flat cars and roll the tractors and implements off and haul them to the dealership.  The dealerships that I have seen have ramps to loading/unloading these straight trucks.

One thing to consider.  Tractors and implements were not usually made in the same plants.  So a tractor plant would be shipping loads of tractors, an implement plant would be shipping loads of whatever implement(s) they were making.  If a farmer ordered a new tractor, a new plow and a new disc, they most likely would not arrive on the same flat car.

Hope this is of interest.  Mont

Montford L. Switzer

President

Switzer Tank Lines, Inc.