Re: Boxcar Interior Door Color

william darnaby

A looong time ago, when I was still working, EMD used old box cars as mobile warehouses and these kind of floated around the plant as needed.  I do not remember the  exterior reporting marks…some secondhand outfit or other…but inside the doors they were marked in the L&N 96xxx series IIRC.  I did not have the freight knowledge I have now but I now recognize them as double sheathed rebuilds.  They caught my attention because I thought them neat and unusual.  I was very pleased when Sunshine offered them many years later.

Bill Darnaby