From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of John Larkin via groups.io [jflarkingrc@...]
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 3:56 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting brass

Mont,

Did you consider the model to be "well-done" after the first baking?   (Groan!)

John Larkin

On Saturday, April 18, 2020, 2:52:12 PM CDT, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

In my case, I have to set the oven to 170ºF, because it won’t go any lower. So when it hits 150ºF, I’d put the model in and turn it off.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...>
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Many years ago I learned a hard lesson about baking brass models.  In conjunction with that lesson I also got to learn how to re-assemble some brass models.  After that I still used Mrs. Switzer's oven, but I went about it differently.  I now use the following steps:

1. preheat the oven to 150 degrees (I'm not disagreeing with 185 degrees)

2. when the light indicates the oven is at 150 degrees (pre-heat completed) turn it off

3. insert models

4. allow oven to cool and remove models

The bad experience I had may have been a defect in the oven, but I'm not going to find out a second time.  I had placed the models in the oven and set it to pre-heat to 150 degrees.  It appears that during the pre-heating process the oven went well above 150 to bring the oven to the desired temperature.  That temperature was high enough to melt solder.

Mont Switzer