From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of Schuyler Larrabee via groups.io [schuyler.larrabee@...]
Sent: Saturday, April 18, 2020 4:05 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting brass

Guys.. .

Go to the grocery store (well masked these days) and buy yourself an oven thermometer.  Short money (I’ve had mine for a long time) for some sense of security that you really know what the temperature is in the oven.

I was given a tabletop convection oven a very long time ago, accurate and dedicated to baking models . . . but last I turned it on, it didn’t respond at all, so I have been messing about with my kitchen oven. The “warm” setting settles in at 200 degrees, a bit high for my comfort. The lowest setting it will accept is 170. That would be OK, but it overruns that to ~220, and then cools down.  I think I am going to adopt Brian’s procedure.

A friend has set up a “booth” that has a couple of 100W lamps at the bottom of a shallow wooden box, fairly small (enough to suspend an articulated locomotive’s boiler) which he turns on when he begins painting, and then suspends the model in the box, and turns off the lights. Seems to work well to bake Scalecoat 1.  I may follow suit.

Schuyler

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...>
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Many years ago I learned a hard lesson about baking brass models.  In conjunction with that lesson I also got to learn how to re-assemble some brass models.  After that I still used Mrs. Switzer's oven, but I went about it differently.  I now use the following steps:

1. preheat the oven to 150 degrees (I'm not disagreeing with 185 degrees)

2. when the light indicates the oven is at 150 degrees (pre-heat completed) turn it off

3. insert models

4. allow oven to cool and remove models

The bad experience I had may have been a defect in the oven, but I'm not going to find out a second time.  I had placed the models in the oven and set it to pre-heat to 150 degrees.  It appears that during the pre-heating process the oven went well above 150 to bring the oven to the desired temperature.  That temperature was high enough to melt solder.

Mont Switzer