Re: Painting brass

John Barry

Joe,

Maybe we should hang blue flags on the common equipment when we are using it to prevent such incidents?

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines 
Golden Gates & Fast Freights 
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696 

PO Box 44736 
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Saturday, April 18, 2020, 04:13:40 PM EDT, Joseph <mstl852@...> wrote:

That happened to a buddy of mine.  He was baking a passenger car, went downstairs to work on something else.  His wife came home to make cookies and raised the oven temp.  The car was later sent to a friend to have it re assembled.  His house burned down. 

I have melted a Walthers H10-44 shell while trying to set Scalecoat.   My kids learned all kinds of new words that day. 
I keep that shell around so if I start to get cocky it brings me back to reality. 

Joe Binish
New Hope , MN

On Sat, Apr 18, 2020 at 2:57 PM John Larkin via groups.io <jflarkingrc=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Mont,

Did you consider the model to be "well-done" after the first baking?   (Groan!)

John Larkin

On Saturday, April 18, 2020, 2:52:12 PM CDT, BRIAN PAUL EHNI <bpehni@...> wrote:

In my case, I have to set the oven to 170ºF, because it won’t go any lower. So when it hits 150ºF, I’d put the model in and turn it off.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Mont Switzer <MSwitzer@...>
Reply-To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Date: Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 2:39 PM
To: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting brass

Many years ago I learned a hard lesson about baking brass models.  In conjunction with that lesson I also got to learn how to re-assemble some brass models.  After that I still used Mrs. Switzer's oven, but I went about it differently.  I now use the following steps:

1. preheat the oven to 150 degrees (I'm not disagreeing with 185 degrees)

2. when the light indicates the oven is at 150 degrees (pre-heat completed) turn it off

3. insert models

4. allow oven to cool and remove models 

The bad experience I had may have been a defect in the oven, but I'm not going to find out a second time.  I had placed the models in the oven and set it to pre-heat to 150 degrees.  It appears that during the pre-heating process the oven went well above 150 to bring the oven to the desired temperature.  That temperature was high enough to melt solder.

Mont Switzer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] on behalf of bob.stetser@... [bob.stetser@...]
Sent: Saturday, April 11, 2020 7:29 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Painting brass

Soak in lacquer thinner for a couple of hours to remove whatever is on the model.

Run twice in the ultrasonic cleaner, let dry

Spray, from rattle can, Rust-Oleum Primer, SELF ETCHING PRIMER, let dry

Spray with airbrush color of choice.

Bake 1 hour in oven at 185 degrees, leave in oven until cool.

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.