Re: Boiler Load On Flat Car (Multiscale Digital Boilers)

John Barry

Don,

I believe that Bruce modified a Chooch boiler.  That was a variant of the "Scotch boiler" and not the type used in warships.  The Birchfield boilers of the current discussion originated at Tacoma Washington (State not District) at the Birchfield Shipbuilding & Boiler Co., Inc.,  located on the west side of the Blair Waterway, in the Port of Tacoma.

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Sunday, April 19, 2020, 10:13:38 AM EDT, Donald B. Valentine via groups.io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

   Who was the firm that offered similar boilers but I believe they were sectional and for ships? Was it
Bruce Smith that posted photos of such a boiler as a flat car load some years ago? Those I could
easily justify here as opposed to an industrial boiler from a mid-western manufacturer. I believe it
was Alco that supplied ship boiler that passed through Vermont via a somewhat circuitous route to
Bath Iron Works in Bath, Me to be used in the destroyers they built during WW II.

Cordially, Don Valentine