Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Flat Car Load

Bruce Smith

Andy, folks,

This Sunshine kit?  😉 (F10 Ship Plate Loads)

Regards
Bruce

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Andy Cich <ajc5150@...>
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 2:20 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [Non-DoD Source] [RealSTMFC] Flat Car Load

This looks like a variation of the type of load modeled by a Sunshine kit. I’m not sure who the model builder is for the photos I attached. I’m sure I saved them from one of the email lists.

Andy Cich

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gatwood, Elden J SAD
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 1:45 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Randy;

This is a PRR F25C dedicated diagonal loading car, for boiler heads or plate steel wider (or taller) than the maximum of the clearance diagram.  Loads were tilted up diagonally, against the timbers, and secured with chains running from the floor, up over the top of the load, and attached to the timbers.  The entire load and car had to fit inside the clearance diagram.  The loaded cars were shipped in “High and Wide” shipments in certain trains, and were continuously checked along the way to ensure no load shifting occurred that would cause a load to hit something, like a bridge entry, tunnel entry, etc.

Elden Gatwood

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Williamson
Sent: Sunday, April 19, 2020 1:50 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Hi Elden,

I have never heard or diagonal loading of cars.  Would it entail opposite corners of the load being off the car?

Randy

Join main@RealSTMFC.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.